Tuesday, March 26, 2013

mardi muse: Awkward

Over the weekend, I fell into one of those miry pits of television quicksand you can never spot out before it's too late. You blink and suddenly you've blazed through two seasons in four days. Not that I... speak from experience...
But of course I am! Despite scanning synopses on Forever Young Adult for the past two years without ever having seen an episode and being created by the same people who gave me Teen Wolf i.e. the love child of happy surprise and television quicksand, I didn't realize just how bad I was going to have it with this show. 
How can you even look at Jake with Matty in the backseat?! (x)
However, with a day's worth of distance between us, I've finally determined why it is that I love it so much. I am invested in every. single. character. What a dazzling accomplishment to aspire to! Whether they're in the love triangle limelight, the kooky guidance counselor spreading drunk driving awareness through the halls in a grim reaper costume, or the this-sneer-is-glued-to-my-face cheerleader, I'm rooting for them all. Let me tell you, I watch a lot of shows where I feel like I'm being walloped over the head, being told that I should care about certain characters. A lot. Bonnie in The Vampire Diaries (ok, half the characters on the show), Charming in Once Upon a Time (ok, half the characters on this show too), Mickey in Doctor Who, I could go on. Somehow, even though you're seeing everything through the eyes of the main character Jenna and hearing her inner commentary, Awkward manages to have a hands-off approach when it comes to your FEELINGS. You're left to make your own decisions about them. It's so refreshing! And the verdict? "Four for you, Glen Coco!" Really, y'all. If I could give four holiday grams to each and every character, I would. Ok... make that four thousand for Matty McKibben! Yes, I realize I'm in my twenties. And no, I won't stop doodling his name and mine with a splash of hearts! But really. Watch it. Watch it and then I can give you a classic "You're welcome!" a la villainous cheerleader Sadie.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! This reminds me of something I read about Parks & Recreation...every character is your favorite character. Will have to look into this!

    And I know that television pit all too well, sad to say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes! Parks & Recreation is the queen bee of likable characters!

      Delete