Wednesday, January 30, 2013

ROCKS! THORNS! GLASS!

There's a lovely new pep talk you may have seen floating around the internet lately...

I loved Space Jam too, little man.

The timing of this video's release couldn't have been more perfect. Because two things have been weighing down on my mind lately and they are: my writing & fear. 

NaNoWriMo. Remember that? It feels like a dream now, to be honest. Apart from sprucing up the first chapter of my novel for grad school apps, the rest of it has remained untouched. I've not given it a second glance. Not once. It's just sitting there, stewing in the post-November haze clouding the back of my mind. The reason for this, I tell myself, is that it's my storybook and not the novel that needs my complete attention right now. There are titles to fiddle with, query letters to potential agents to write. But the truth is... I'm terrified. What if it's terrible? What if it's gaping with plot holes? What if it's riddled with embarrassing typos? What if it's gibberish? What if I accidentally included a One Direction lyric? What if this fantasy world isn't believable? What if I've written a heroine you can't root for? What if I can't, in fact, write? What if? What if? What if? 

All too often, I let 'what if' wield power over my life. And once those two little words fly out of someone else's mouth in regards to my writing, my legs buckle under them. Of course I'm scared of failing! Of course I am! I don't like failing. Failing's not my favorite. It's a risky business, going out on a limb and reaching for what you want. But it's when I'm being risky that I feel alive and inspired. That feeling, living, is worth the risk. I have to go for it because I can't not. It's that simple. And maybe I'll fail. There's a huge chance I'll fail! And you can say, "I told you so." But I'll tell you one thing I hope you'll never have the opportunity to say to me: "You never even tried."

So here's to going for it! To being hopeful and starry eyed and dedicated and passionate about who we are and what we do. "You’ve got air comin’ through your nose! You’ve got a heartbeat… that means it’s time to do something!” What's your something going to be?

P.S. I'll be looking at that NaNoWriMo piece soon. I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness!! I'm so jealous and excited right now. Jealous because you're at a point where I eventually want to be. This is HUGE and I have to congratulate you! It must've taken hours to be able to have the story you do right now and that's truly impressive. I can totally understand every. Single. What If question you posted there. I felt all of them in my gut. Which probably tells us that it's just the self-doubt that plagues anyone who's about to embark on something.

    So I say go for it! Reach for the moon! It might not work out on the first try but who cares right? Look at Rowling. This is so exciting and I'm actually very excited for you. Is that weird? I hope not. But even if it is, I don't care :P All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Disdaaaaaaaaaain!!!!! I always love hearing from you! Thank you SO MUCH for your lovely comments! It's that much more motivating. It seems the only thing *more* terrifying than creating is sharing what you've created. So I encourage you right back to reach for the moon! Are you writing something or are you referring to some other stellar project? Ah! I'm excited whatever it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I'm glad! And thank you for your encouragements also. Well, I do write, but haven't actually started on anything quite as ambitious as yours. From where I'm sitting, what you've done looks both impressive and daunting. Here's to us reaching the moon.

    ReplyDelete