Tuesday, October 30, 2012

come on with the rain

love rainy days and since Hurricane Sandy snagged me an unprecedented second day off from work, I spent it in a snug blanket fort eating PB&J.
I've been itching to do this for a while, but another rainy day seemed like the perfect excuse. Since I was already embracing my inner child, I did some story brainstorming with an elementary school style web. It was actually quite useful seeing all my crazy ideas for certain scenes spilling out on the same page. Some ideas looked so ridiculous written down (and yet I still find myself attached to them), it made it a lot easier to take them off the table.

Another thing I found useful...
I recently inherited my grandparents' dictionary from 1949. Flipping through when my brainstorming got a bit lethargic was impressively helpful. Besides stumbling across the words that gave me little "aha!" moments, it was fun just to see a bit of old fashioned slang in there.

I'm already feeling nostalgic about these much needed days off. But I might keep listening to the same rainy day songs to stay in the spirit of things. Here are a few I've had on a constant loop the past few days:
  1. "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Ella Fitzgerald 
  2. "Easy Living" by Billie Holiday 
  3. "Can't Help Lovin' That Man" by Ava Gardner  
How do you spend your rainy days? Hope you're all safe and sound post hurricane!

2 comments: